He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8 (NIV).
Here are ten things to consider if you want to know God’s will for your life:
- Read, reflect and respond to God’s Word. God speaks to us primarily through His Word. Know His Word and you’ll know His will. “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path” Psalm 119:105 (NIV).
- Confess sin. Sin separates us from God. When we sin, God won’t listen to us and we won’t hear from Him. “But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear” Isaiah 59:2 (NIV).
- Do what He wants, not what you want. Who is the Lord of your life, you or God? If you’re not 100% convinced that God wants you to do what you’re thinking about doing, then you shouldn’t do it. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways submit to Him, and He shall make your paths straight” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV).
- Act on what you already know God wants you to do. God is very clear about how we should, or should not, be doing many things e.g. no sex before marriage. If we don’t obey all the general things taught in the Bible, it’s unlikely that God will reveal specific things to us. “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” James 1:22 (NIV).
- Seek godly input. Our world view (values and philosophy) and direction in life is often a composite of the five people we spend the most time with. When you surround yourself with godly people they’ll be instrumental in helping you discern God’s plan for your life. “For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers” Proverbs 11:14 (NIV). “Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise” Proverbs 19:20 (NIV).
- Pay attention to how God has wired you. God’s plan/purpose/will for you will always be directly related to the gifts He’s given you. “All (the gifts) are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines” 1 Corinthians 12:11 (NIV).
- Listen to God’s Spirit. Discern what God is saying to you by listening internally to the One who is in you.”But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” John 14:26 (NIV).
- Listen to your heart. God has already wired you to fulfil His plans and purposes for your life. In addition to listening to the Spirit, you must act on the desires that God has placed in your heart.”Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this” Psalm 37:4-5 (NIV).
- Use common sense. If you’re all thumbs and no fingers, you’re probably not meant to be a carpenter! “Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning, but a rod is for the back of one who has no sense” Proverbs 10:13 (NIV).
- Ask the Lord. Don’t miss the obvious. Sometimes we don’t know God’s will/plan/purpose because we didn’t ask! “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you” Matthew 7:7 (NIV). “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” 1 John 5:14 (NIV).