“Noah did everything just as God commanded him” Genesis 6:22
Jim Paterson is an exceptionally talented artist. We have two pictures of his hanging in our home. The one is an original watercolour described as The Kingdom of Heaven is Like a Mustard Seed and the other is a limited edition print titled, Noah Building the Ark.
This latter work is really two stories within one picture. First and most obviously is the story of Noah and his family building the ark as God had commanded. But it’s no ordinary ark and the setting is a suburban backyard. Both traditional and modern tools are lying around the yard and the boat has traditional and modern elements to it. The reason Jim used this contrast is to illustrate that “just as Noah made a choice to obey God then we, like Noah, must now choose to obey God in building whatever ‘ark’ He has asked us to build.”
That’s a good point. It raises two questions. Are we prepared to build whatever “ark” God is asking us to build? And are we, despite the possible mocking of others, prepared to do whatever God wants us to do? After all, if Noah with a limited revelation of God could do “everything just as God commanded him,” (Genesis 6:22) how much more shouldn’t we be prepared to be ark builders despite the possible ridicule of neighbours and friends.
Ten additional things:
- Learn to read the signs. The ark was the largest billboard of the time but people still never read it for what it was.
- Remember, we’re all in the same boat.
- Plan ahead. It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark.
- Beware. God’s Spirit will not contend with man forever (cf. Genesis 6:3).
- Stay fit. God uses seniors for big projects. Noah was 600 years old!
- Don’t miss the boat.
- Do what needs to be done. If God has told you to do something, ignore the critics.
- “Two are better than one” Ecclesiastes 4:9. It’s better to travel in pairs.
- It’s okay to be an amateur. Noah never built a boat before building the ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.
- With God you’re always safe in a storm. He’s set a rainbow in the clouds as a sign of His covenant with you.