“If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit” Matthew 15:14
Here are ten everyday maxims that will stand you in good stead:
- Don’t worry, it’s the most unproductive of all human activities. Today’s worries are like puddles, tomorrow they may have evaporated. “An anxious heart weighs a man down” Proverbs 12:25.
- Don’t be fearful, most of the things we fear never come to pass. “Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared” Proverbs 3:25-26.
- Never cross a bridge until you reach it. “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth” Proverbs 27:1.
- Don’t run from trials or difficulties. “Our antagonist is our helper. He that wrestles with it strengthens our muscles and sharpens our skills” Edmund Burke. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance” James 1:2-3.
- Don’t take problems to bed with you. They make poor bedfellows. “Lie down and sleep in peace, for (the Lord makes you) dwell in safety” Psalm 4:8.
- Don’t borrow other people’s problems. “No one can hold two watermelons in one hand” Afghanistan proverb.
- Don’t try to re-live yesterday for good or bad. It’s gone. Concentrate on what’s happening in your life today. Counting time is not nearly as important as making time count. “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” Psalm 118:24.
- Count your blessings. Never overlook the small ones. Many small blessings add up to a big one.
- Be a good listener. The most important thing in communication is hearing what’s being said. As long as you’re talking, you’ll learn nothing. “A man of understanding holds his tongue” Proverbs 11:12.
- Be positive. See the cup as half full not half empty. See what can be done, not what can be undone. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go” Joshua 1:9.